STATE OF THE FOUNDATION
Hi Everyone! School is back in session and surely that first cool front will be here soon, right? Here’s a quick update on all that is going on with the Live Like Lucas Foundation.
Our 2nd annual Color Walk/Run was a HUGE success
On April 23rd, over 350 people joined us in LIVING LIKE LUCAS by having a blast at our Color Run. We were able to raise over $7,000 that will go directly to scholarships, summer camps and teacher grants! BIG smiles were seen everywhere as we honored and forever remember the huge love, happiness and kindness Lucas gave to all of us. We hope everyone was able to get that “Color” out of their hair, nose, ears, eyes, etc. and will join us next year for an even bigger event held again at Seven Lakes. Thanks to all that came and/or donated to our event. Thanks to all the volunteers that are always there to help us at a moment’s notice. And a special thanks to Lisa Akard and Kristin Harper for being the best hosts anyone could ask for! We can’t wait until next year!
Making a difference in 2022
So far in 2022, because of your generosity, we have been able to give out over $10,000 in scholarships and summer camp tuitions!
- College Scholarships – This year we were able to give out $1,000 scholarships to five high school seniors and current college students. These students represent the true meaning of “Live Like Lucas” as they all have made a huge difference in the special needs community and plan to continue making a difference by pursuing careers that will no doubt enrich individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We are so honored to have the opportunity to help these kids achieve their goals! Congratulations to the following winners:
o Joann Nguyen
o Emily Maddox
o Jada Lemelle
o Reagan Kallina o Kensie Cipolla
- Summer Special Needs Camps – Because of your donations and participation in our events, we were able to donate over $5,000 to Beloved and Beyond Summer Camp. This camp, owned and operated by Glen and Laura Elder, is a Christian-based special needs camp that offers weekly overnight camps for children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our donations enabled five campers to attend a week at summer camp where they had a great and safe time being celebrated and loved by so many people. We believe this camp will change the lives of all that attend and volunteer. You can learn more about their camps at belovedandbeyond.org
- Katy ISD Education Foundation – Katy ISD teacher grants were given out last spring to teachers and classrooms from the Katy ISD Education Foundation. This foundation awards teacher grants that provide financial support for innovative programs they implement. The Live Like Lucas Foundation has set aside money to support the special education grants that are being given out this year. We will be reviewing all the grants given to special education teachers/classrooms and will donate and help support those that fit our mission. You can learn more about this wonderful foundation at https://www.katyisd.org/EducationFoundation
Live Like Lucas Foundation
- Lucas Benches – We have donated two “Lucas’ Bench”, one at Shafer Elementary and the other at Seven Lakes Junior High. You can see the Lucas bench at Shafer in the back right next to the playground. The bench at Seven Lakes JH is orange and in the front next to the Life Skills classroom. We hope these benches will forever keep Lucas’ legacy of love, kindness and happiness alive.
Upcoming Events and Support
We have a few events coming up:
Live Like Lucas Foundation
Our 2nd Annual Talent Showcase. We are working to find a venue for our 2nd Talent Showcase. This event was HUGE success in 2021 and we can’t wait to do this again hopefully in the Spring of 2023. Be on the lookout soon for dates, auditions, tickets, etc.
3rd Annual Color Walk/Run. This must-see event will take place once again at Seven Lakes Junior High in the Spring of 2023.
We are always looking for ways to support and help families with disabilities including support for therapy services, after school care, young adult transitioning from school to work/home, etc. If you know of any family needing some support, please let us know.
How you can help?
There are many ways you can help support our foundation:
Donate your time. We are always looking for volunteers to help us with our events, etc. If you are interested in volunteering, please just reach out to us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or by signing up on our website.
Donate financially. There are numerous ways you can help our foundation through monetary support.
1. Donate money through the website. Just click “Donate” on the livelikelucas.net website and it will take you to our PayPal page for donations.
2. Amazon Smile. We are now set up as a charity with Amazon. By clicking on the link below, before you shop on Amazon, a portion of your purchase will go to the foundation. This is an extremely easy way to support us as we all seem to buy more and more on Amazon.
If anyone has any questions about anything related to Lucas and/or the foundation, please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Always remember to LIVE LIKE LUCAS!!!
David and Afsoon Harrison
LIVE LIKE LUCAS!!!
Live Like Lucas, Inc.
Contact us at: Livelikelucas0420@yahoo.com